This versatile grain salad makes for a lovely lunch, or light main course.
- 1 C uncooked wild rice
- 4 handfuls Arugula or Baby Spinach
- 2/3 C pecans or walnuts , toasted
- 1½ C sweet cherries , pitted
- ½ C toasted walnut oil , or extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ C raspberry vinegar , or white wine vinegar
- sea salt , to taste
- ¼ C crumbled feta cheese , or goat cheese
- Rinse wild rice. Bring 4 cups of lightly salted water to a boil. Add wild rice, reduce heat, cover and simmer over low heat until rice is tender, about 40-45 minutes. Drain rice and set aside.
- While rice is cooking, mash 1/3 of the cherries in a jar with a muddler or the handle of a wooden spoon. Add walnut oil and vinegar, close lid tightly and shake until combined. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to season and taste.
- Tear remaining cherries in half. Toss wild rice with the arugula, most of the pecans, and most of the remaining cherries until evenly combined. Add a generous splash of the dressing and toss again. Taste for seasoning and add more salt or dressing if necessary.
- Top salad with remaining cherry halves and pecans, and crumbled cheese. Serve warm or at room temperature.