Zucchini and Almond Pasta Salad
- 1½ lb zucchini (2-3 depending on size), halved lengthwise and very thinly sliced
- 1 t salt
- 1½ oz parmesan or pecorino romano cheese , thinly sliced on a mandolin or with a peeler
- ½ C slivered almonds , well-toasted and cooled (300°F oven for 7-10 mins, tossing occasionally, usually works)
- ½ lb pasta of your choice (whole wheat fusilli is a favorite), cooked, drained, and cooled
- 5 T olive oil
- juice of one lemon
- freshly ground black pepper
- Toss zucchini slices with one teaspoon salt in a large colander set over a bowl or in sink. Let drain 20 minutes. If the zucchini tastes too salty, rinse and drain them again.
- Stir zucchini, parmesan, almonds and pasta together. Whisk together olive oil and lemon juice, seasoning generously with black pepper and salt to taste. Toss with salad and adjust seasonings to taste.