Bacon keeps this simple broiled trout moist while adding flavor. Serve with boiled new potatoes and sweet corn. Or add jalapeno-studded hush puppies and Cajun-spiced tartar sauce for a southern twist!
- 2 8-ounce whole, boneless trout butterflied
- salt and black pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1/4 cup parsley roughly-chopped
- 1 lemon thinly sliced into rounds, seeds removed
- 8 ounces sliced bacon
- Preheat the oven to "broil" or high
- Season the inside of trout with salt, black pepper, and fresh garlic. Spread the parsley and lemon sliceson the length of one side of each trout, them fold to create a stuffed fish. Carefully wrap slices of uncooked bacon around the outside of each trout and secure with toothpicks. Place the trout in a large iron skillet or rimmed sheet pan and broil on high for 6 to 8 minutes. carefully removesome of the bacon brease from the baking dish to avoid burning, then gently flip the trout and broil another 6 to 8 minutes until the bacon has crisped. Remove from the oven and discard the head and toothpicks. Cut each fish in half and serve warm.