This simple marinated salad is perfect picnic dish. It pairs well with grilled meats, seafood and poultry.
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 clove garlic peeled and smashed
- 1 lb English cucumbers very thinly sliced
- 1 small sweet onion thinly julienned
- salt and black pepper to taste
- In a small saucepan, bring the honey, vinegar, mustard seeds, and garlic to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat and let cool. Discard the garlic clove. In a large bowl, toss the cooled vinegar mixture with the cucumbers and onion and a pinch each of salt and black pepper. Let cucumbers sit for at least 1 hour before serving.
- This classic simmertime recipe is the perfect picnic salad and pairs well with grilled meats, seafood, and poultry, particularly Thai- or Mediterranean-inspired dishes. A few drops of sesame oil adds an Asian twistm or toss in some minced serrano pepper to spice it up.