Accompany this dish with something simple, crunchy and tart to complement the rich, smoky flavors; try a romaine salad dressed with vinaigrette or steamed green beans tossed with lemon, olive oil and garlic.
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 C diced yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- ½ lb button mushrooms , quartered
- 1¼ C arborio rice
- 2 T tomato paste
- 2 t tamari
- 1 t smoked paprika
- 1 t salt
- ½ t ground black pepper
- 3 T lemon juice
- 3½ C vegetable broth , divided
- 4-5 C roughly-chopped kale (1 large bunch)
- ¼ lb smoked Gouda cheese , shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions for 5 minutes, add the garlic and mushrooms and sauté until the mushrooms begin to soften. Add rice and stir while sautéing for about 2 minutes. Add tomato paste, tamari, paprika, salt, pepper, lemon juice and 3 cups of the broth and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, then cover with a tight lid and place in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, uncover and return the pan to the stove over medium-low heat. Stir in the kale and another ¼ cup of broth. Cook for another 5-10 minutes, adding more broth if needed, until the kale is tender, rice is creamy and liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese. Serve warm.