Cannellini Citrus Cake
- 2 C all-purpose flour (I used Gold-n-White)
- 2 t baking powder
- ½ t sea salt
- 1 T each of orange zest AND lemon zest (save the orange and lemon juice for the glaze... you'll need an additional 1 T lemon juice and 1 t zest from the lemon, plus 1 t zest from the orange)
- 2 C cannellini beans , cooked, drained, & rinsed
- ½ C Orange Juice concentrate , thawed
- ½ C lemon-lime soda (Blue Sky works great, but Zevia would work too!)
- 1/3 C + 3 T maple syrup
- 1 T vegan margarine (I like Earth Balance Coconut Spread)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and liberally oil an 8" cake pan. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, orange & lemon zests in a bowl. In a blender or food processor, puree beans, OJ concentrate, soda & 1/3 C maple syrup until smooth. Pour bean mixture over dry ingredients and stir until very well blended. Add more soda/juice or water to mixture if necessary. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake on middle rack for about 45 minutes at 350°F.
- In a separate bowl, blend together the 3 Tbsp. maple syrup, vegan margarine, 1 Tbsp. lemon juice, 1 tsp. lemon zest, 2 Tbsp. OJ concentrate (you’ll have some leftover from the cake) & 1 tsp. orange zest.
- When cake is done, pull it from the oven and let sit for 5-7 minutes. Poke small holes in the top with a toothpick and pour the glaze over the top while still warm. Let cool and try to wait patiently before indulging.