Serve this rich, tangy chicken soup as an entrée with a small Greek salad or antipasti platter, fine cheeses and crusty bread. Baklava makes a sweet finish to the meal. f
- 2 t olive oil
- 1 C diced yellow onion
- 2 T minced garlic
- ½ C uncooked long grain white rice
- 6 C chicken broth
- 2 eggs , lightly beaten
- ½ C fresh lemon juice
- 2 C cooked, shredded chicken
- salt and black pepper , to taste
- 2 T minced parsley
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and sauté the onion for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another 1 to 2 minutes. Add the rice and stir well. Pour in the chicken broth, stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer and cook 15 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Remove about a cup of broth from the pot, put in a small mixing bowl and slowly whisk in the beaten eggs. Once the broth and eggs are blended, slowly whisk the mixture into the rest of the simmering soup, stirring well. Add the lemon juice, cooked chicken and a pinch each of salt and black pepper. Remove from heat and taste for seasoning. Stir in the fresh parsley and serve hot.