Whole Foods Co-op is now accepting applications for:
Full-time salaried exempt position
Job Summary: Manage Deli Department through supervising selection, receipt, production, pricing, display and promotion of designated products and ensuring hiring, training and supervision of department staff to meet goals for sales, margin, inventory turns, local and regional purchases, labor expense, safety, sanitation and customer service in compliance with established practices and WFC policies, National Organic Program (NOP) and applicable insurance and regulatory agencies
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Abide by all WFC policies and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook and Policy & Procedure Manual.
- Consistently and positively promote ownership and owner benefits.
- Follow and ensure compliance with all safety practices and policies.
- Exceed expectations of internal and external customers for service and provide a welcoming environment for all in accordance with WFC’s customer service standards.
- Resolve customer concerns.
- Anticipate customer needs.
- Promptly respond to requests for service and assistance.
- Schedule and post electronically position hours to ensure availability of department support.
- Treat all customers and co-workers fairly, consistently and with respect.
- Engage in creating and maintaining a positive, ethical and productive department and workplace that contributes to achieving progress on WFC’s ENDS.
- Supervise selection, receipt, production, pricing, display and promotion of designated products to achieve goals for sales, margin, inventory turns, local and regional purchases, and labor expense in compliance with WFC policies, department Organic Standards Handling Plan and established practices for safety, sanitation and customer service.
- Hire, train, evaluate, coach and supervise designated employees in compliance with established practices, policies and budget restrictions to support day-to-day operations and to achieve WFC goals.
- Ensure department accountability for maintaining performance standards, provide daily supervision and leadership to designated employees and follow through promptly on documentation, coaching and corrective actions in compliance with WFC policies and practices.
- Ensure cleanliness and maintenance of department shelving, refrigeration equipment, prep areas, storage areas, office areas and display areas in compliance with established practices; document, report and resolve any equipment maintenance or safety concerns; and incorporate equipment, sanitation and safety needs into budget requests or allocations.
- Participate in storewide management including, but not limited to, participating on the Operations and Management Teams and in cross-promotional planning meetings.
- Perform other tasks assigned by Store Manager.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Applicable degree/certification
- Minimum three (3) years leadership experience in restaurant, retail and/or project management
- Experience in commercial cooking/baking, preferably in deli/restaurant/natural foods
- Experience in prepared foods production, purchasing, merchandising and pricing
- Knowledge of organic and commercial growing practices and organic certification requirements
- Experience supervising employees and/or project teams including, but not limited to, interviewing, training, coaching and evaluating
- Experience in retail, grocery, natural foods and/or cooperative management
Essential Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- High school diploma or GED
- Ability to follow through on systems and procedures
- Analytical ability and proficiency in math
- Computer proficiency, e.g., keyboard experience, email, Word, EXCEL, data base management
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Attention to detail and good organizational skills
- Ability to handle multiple demands, work under time pressures and meet deadlines
- Personal integrity to handle confidential information as applicable
- Willingness to be open, to learn and to take on new responsibilities
- Demonstrate objectivity, neutrality and calmness under pressure
- Ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to prioritize tasks
- Regular, predictable attendance
- Effective communication skills in English
- Available to work evenings, weekends, holidays
- Occasional Exposure
- Outdoor weather conditions (tasks in loading dock and receiving areas)
- Frequent Exposure
- Wet and/or humid conditions (walk-in/reach-in coolers)
- Handling wet, warm and/or frozen products
- Proximity to warm, steamy and/or hot appliances
- Carts, pallets and hand-trucks moving in and out of storage/retail areas and in and out of freight elevator.
- Constant Exposure
- Background music and in-store pages
- Food odors, grain and spice dust, food allergens
Essential Physical Requirements
- Ability to occasionally lift and move up to 60 lbs. throughout shift
- Ability to stand, walk, squat, bend, sit, balance and rotate body
- Ability to ascend and descend stairs, ladders and step stools
- Manual dexterity to handle product, packaging, writing implements, keyboards and handheld ordering devices
- Ability to safely use sharp cutting instruments/tools
- Ability to complete repetitive office tasks (sitting at a desk, reaching, bending, filing, using a computer keyboard and looking at a computer screen) for up to eight hours per day
- Specific vision ability: close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and adjust focus
- Ability to use feet and hands to operate machinery and equipment including, but not limited to, forklifts, pallet jacks, cardboard baler
Important Disclaimer Notice
The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, educational factors and the requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. The employer reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business, competitive considerations or the work environment change.
Position posted 09/22/2017.
To apply: submit a complete Whole Foods Co-op application, cover letter, and resume.
Applications may be dropped off, faxed or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job descriptions are available in store at the customer service counter or online.
Whole Foods Co-op is an Equal Opportunity Employer.