Below is a preview of the GLFF online application. This preview is for preparation purposes only, applicants will be required to submit an online application. Last updated on 12/28/22.
2023 Application Questions
Part 1: Enter Farm/Business Contact Information (Questions 1-7)
(8) Provide a brief proposal summary of why you are applying.
- This will be the snapshot of what the GLFF Committee will review first. Keep the summary to under 100 words and be concise with the grant request.
Part 2: Proposal Narrative
(9) Is your farm or business located in the Lake Superior Bioregion of Minnesota or Wisconsin? This is any county in Minnesota or Wisconsin that touches Lake Superior including Minnesota counties Aitkin, Carlton, Cook, Itasca, Koochiching, Lake, Pine, and St. Louis. Wisconsin counties Ashland, Bayfield, Burnett, Douglas, Iron, Sawyer, and Washburn.
(10) Please select a category that best describes your business. Emerging Grower, Established Grower, Emerging Food Producer, or Established Food Producer.
- An Emerging Grower or Food Producer is defined by WFC as a business that has been established for fewer than 5 years. If you have been operating your business for over 5 years choosing the Established options will be most appropriate.
(11) Tell us about your farm or business.
How many years have you been in business/operation? Do you have a mission statement? What are your goals and what is your vision for the short-term and long-term future?
(12) Is your farm or business owned by women, Black, indigenous, people of color (POC), LGBTQIA+, persons with disabilities, or veterans?
(13) Who does the day-to-day work, including planning, overseeing, and decision-making?
(14) Is an employee(s) of Whole Foods Co-op involved with your organization? If yes, please list their name(s) and involvement.
(15) Are you a cooperatively owned business?
(16) Have you ever been a Grow Local Food Fund recipient in the past? (Past recipients are NOT eligible for this round).
Part 3: Project Details
(17) What is the nature and scope of the project you would like funding for?
(18) What is the timeline for the project? How long will the project take and when will it be complete? If this is a multi-year project, please explain what you plan to accomplish each year.
(19) Who will be carrying out the bulk of the work on the project, and what experience and qualifications do they have to support the project’s success?
(20) How does your project support the growth of local food production? What impact will this project have on growing your business? Please include numerical metrics if possible.
(21) How does/can your project positively impact the environment (air, soil, and water)?
Part 4: Budget Information
(22) Dollar amount requested from Grow Local Food Fund (up to $7000).
(23) In 2022, what was your total annual income (sales, grants, other)?
(24) In 2022, what are your total annual expenses (rent, utilities, labor, supplies)?
(25) Total project budget (including dollars requested).
A complimenting excel file download will be included for you to complete a budget table for your project.
(26) Reliance: What percent of your total project cost would the Grow Local Food Fund grant cover?
(27) How does this project support a long-term investment for your business?
(28) If your project is selected for funding, you will be required to submit an IRS Form W-9 to WFC’s Finance Department ahead of receiving grant funds. Will you commit to this?
(29) If awarded a grant from the Grow Local food Fund, a final report and update with information about the project and its effect on your business must be submitted to Whole Foods Co-op within six months of receipt of grant funds. How will you evaluate the success of this project? Who will do the evaluation?
(30) If your application is chosen, do you allow WFC to use your application to serve as an example for future applicants on our website? (Personal and financial information would be removed for privacy purposes).
At the end of your application please be prepared to submit a completed excel document along with 3-5 high-resolution images. Select images that help promote your business. All files will need to be submitted by 11:59 pm CST, January 31, 2023. Full details will be included in the final application.