(“Frugtsuppe” in Danish or “Fruktsoppa” in Swedish)
- 1 C prunes
- 1 C dried apricots
- ¾ C dried apples, peaches, pears, cherries, blueberries, and/or cranberries , or any dried fruit combination (optional)
- 6-8 C water (or combination of water and grape juice)
- ½ C dark raisins or currants
- 3 T tapioca
- ½ C raw cane sugar ( or less, to taste)
- 1 orange or lemon , sliced thin
- 1 cinnamon stick
- whipped cream and almonds , for serving
- Put the dried fruit (except raisins) and
cold water into a stainless steel or
enamel saucepan and let soak for 30
minutes. Cook tapioca separately in
water for 10 minutes or until transparent.
- Add sugar, cinnamon stick and
orange slices to the fruit mixture and
bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and
simmer about 20 minutes
or until fruit is
tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add tapioca
mixture at this time.
You might need to add
more water if it’s too
thick. My aunt Jan
uses Grape Juice in
place of the water, in
which case you could
get by with less sugar.
Cool and remove cinnamon
oranges. Serve warm
with half-n-half or
chilled with whipped
cream and almonds.