Maque Choux Southern Corn Salad
- 1/4 lb bacon cooked crisp
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper diced
- 4 cups corn kernels fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup fresh tomato diced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 cup milk
- pinch cayenne pepper
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Cook bacon until crisp and set aside. Crumple or chop when cooled.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and green peppers and saute for a few minutes. Add corn, tomato, thyme, and milk and continue to cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until corn is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir n cayenne, crumpled bacon, and salt and pepper, Serve warm.
- A traditional side to Creole dishes, this salad is often spiced up with a dash of hot sauce. Turn it into a main course by adding cooked chicken, sausage, crab meat, or jumbo shrimp just before serving, stuffed into fresh tomatoes or spooned over ripe avocado halves. This dish reheats well; make it ahead of time and refrigerate for up to 2 days.